August 24, 2007

It's not my birthday, but I'll cry if I want to

Today is the day L chose for his birthday party. The party will be an all night marathon of role playing with his three bestest friends....all night....from 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. Please pray for us! He is upstairs catching up on the sleep he will miss. Lucky him. This morning I woke up to the sound of a steady dripping, which not only made me think it could be raining - and we desperately need that - but it also made me think I had to pee. Sorry, but water sounds do that to me. Don't even get me started on the evils of table top fountains! So, I roll over in bed and notice that RL is in the bathroom getting ready for work and the dripping is getting steadier and steadier. However, instead of rain, it's beginning to sound more and more like one drop. Then it started sounding like a more consistent drop. Then it sounded like a steady pouring. By this time I knew it was time to go to the bathroom. However, a boob-like object (no better way to describe it, believe me) was protruding from the bedroom ceiling. In the semi-darkness, I had no way of knowing what that was. So, I stumbled over to the light switch and flipped it on. Sure enough - the large boob-like object was a paint bubble - full, no make that FULL of water. It even had stretch marks where it was straining to hold that water in. Finally it let loose and we had a nice fountain in our bedroom - which was not helping my bladder at all. In the excitement I had forgotten why I was getting out of bed to begin with! The A/C unit, which is above our bedroom, decided to not function properly. Water that was supposed to be flowing out the drainage pipes and into the great outdoors, decided instead to flow onto the attic floor. The attic floor, not being as absorbant as the great outdoors, decided it needed a release - causing the big boob in our bedroom ceiling. After some quick thinking on RL's part, I would probably still be standing there in my sleepy stupor staring, ran and got a bucket to catch the water. He went to work and called the A/C guy who promptly came out and cleaned out the pipes. To say that the clog was disgusting would be a major understatement. I have been graphic enough, I will spare you the details! Now, all of this comes on top of just finding out that the front door needs to be replaced before wooden floors go down because the door is old and leaking. Why don't we check the back door while we're at it - we said. We did. Dumb, dumb, dumb! More damage there than in the front and those doors will have to be replaced as well as both the front deck, the back deck and some of the siding in the front and back. So, in the big scheme of things, an all night marathon of role playing games doesn't sound so bad after all, does it?

No comments: