November 10, 2008

'It Feels Like Hair'

This morning was Old Timey Day at the local elementary school. Since our friend who got R her spinning wheel had asked R to come demonstrate spinning, we felt like she should go. Although R was committed to being there, she sort of committed her brother and me to also be there. Sweet kid! We are not early risers. Anybody who knows us knows this fact. RL and I had been discussing it and decided that over a two week period we would prepare everyone to get up a little earlier every day. Somehow it worked. This morning at 6:30 everyone was up and getting ready for the day. That, my friends, is a major accomplishment! MAJOR!
I took some pictures while we were sitting around listening to the same speech during the same demonstration every 10 minutes for four hours. Every once in a while I would pull out a sock and knit. The poor kids! Most had never seen someone knit a sock. One little boy said it made sense to him. At least I didn't have to go out and buy some. I didn't have the heart to tell him how much sock yarn can cost and how long it can take to knit a pair of socks. (As for the quality of the pictures - it is very difficult to get decent pictures when you are trying to avoid getting the children's faces and they are everywhere! Since we didn't know any of them, we felt it was best not to use pictures of them.)

As for the title of this blog....R had different samples of fiber and yarn she had spun on the table. Every single group had at least one child, normally a boy, who would say, "It feels like hair." At first I laughed when I heard it. Then the second group came and another little boy said it. Then the next and the next. Pretty soon it became a game for us to figure out which child would say it and when. We only had one group not mention it. I thought it was so odd because I have never thought of that comparison.

Jan, our neighbor for the demonstration, had this basket under her tables of weaving. Do you know how difficult it was for me to keep my hands out of it? I wanted all of it!



Here's a picture of part of her display.

I believe she had woven all her samples except the napkins. The scarf in the upper right hand corner came home with R as a thank you for participating. This was the perfect day for a scarf and very sweet of Jan to give it to her.

This is a very blurry picture of the quilting demonstration. Some of those quilts were gorgeous.


On to the backyard. R took this picture a few days ago. Hard to believe we have flowers of any kind still out there blooming.


As you can tell from this picture and the one below, we have our raking cut out for us, don't we?!

As for the ladybuy migration I told you about a couple of posts ago, they are finished and settled in for their long winter's nap. This is a cobwebby corner in our stairwell. They will stay there (or in any other cubby they have found) until they either die or find their way outside in the spring.

Shhh, I need to sleep. I'm soooooo tired!

2 comments:

Sweet Woodruff said...

That...is....so....cool.

I gotta run, but wanted to stop and say hi. God bless.

Thimbleanna said...

Oooh, looks like you had fun -- I love it when they do stuff like that at school. My yard looked like yours before Saturday. I mowed my leaves to death. Round and round in circles until I showed them who's boss. The neighbors probably thought I was nuts.