December 17, 2007

There's a Spinner in the House!

Yesterday we all went our separate ways for the afternoon. L had a birthday party from 2:00 to 7:00. RL and R went Christmas shopping. I was all alone. That does not happen very often around here! What to do, what to do!?!?!?!?! I had a book I needed to take to Mom and Daddy, so I went there after I dropped L off. I ended up staying. I have a tendency to do that, but they don't seem to mind. We talked about Christmas, the kids, RL and what all he's going to do on his Christmas break. Did I mention that he's on a two week Christmas break? YIPPEE! It's always nice to have him home. Good news - he's home for two weeks. Bad news - he's going on a business trip three days after he returns to work. Good news - he's going to Ireland. Bad news - it's during Rs birthday. She is NOT happy. Oh well. We'll just celebrate the day after her birthday, when he gets back home. One day shouldn't be too painful. She's going to be 20, so I guess she can act a little adult and suck it up! Back to yesterday - Mom and I went to the bank and grocery store. She picked up basics. I picked up fun stuff - all my baking supplies and Chex mix supplies too. No sooner had I gotten home then the phone rang. It was our friend who had gotten R the spinning wheel. She wanted to 'rendezvous' at our local grocery store parking lot. I got there a little earlier than she did and started looking around the parking lot. She has a new car and I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was! So, I started driving around the parking lot. I was positive somebody would think I was casing the joint and call the cops! Luckily she got there a few minutes later and saved me from an explanation to the local authorities as to why I was looking in vans! Turns out the box, which was about 3 1/2 ft. tall, wouldn't fit in her van and she had to take her husband's truck. I gave her the book "Shall I Knit You a Hat" and the little hat I made for her daughter. She gave me the wheel. I definitely think I got the better end of the deal although she made me feel like she did. People like her at rare. Unfortunately, there was no sneaking a box of that magnitude into the house. RL and R had just gotten home, so R knew what we were up to. Oh well. She got to help put it together, which really didn't consist of doing much on her part. It was just a screw or two here and there. The wheel was just the wheel - which is what Jan suspected - so I had gotten everything extra R was going to need to spin. However, that is for Christmas, so she has to wait a week! She did have some roving she had gotten for her drop spindle, so she at least had something to spin. She did pretty good! I had to ignore the puppy dog eyes though when it came to the rest of the spinning stuff!

Here is her first attempt. I have been informed that now I have to buy some fleece instead of yarn. I made the mistake of asking if I could have the yarn she currently has. Note: NEVER ask a knitter that! Although she has officially added 'spinner' to her talents, knitter is still way, way up there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. Birthday the day after... that's gonna be fun with a jet-lagged dad. More like two days later...
Yeah, yeah, yeah... I can hear ya' already about putting on my big girl panties and dealing with it...

Bella Modiste said...

Yay for you R! what a fab present! and good golly...20? amazing!
cheers!
~N~

kelly said...

Oh please tell me I don't hear whining - you know how I feel about that. BIG GIRL PANTIES, PLEASE...I'm sure he'll bring you something Irish. Sam would wet his big boy panties in total anticipation!

Thimbleanna said...

Boy, looks like there will be lots of spinning fun on the horizon! Happy Holidays to You!