February 15, 2008

What a Nice Valentine's Day We Had!

Although yesterday started off a little slow for us, it improved with time. R and L finished the baking frenzy they had started on the 13th and what a frenzy it was! The G-bombs were wonderful. L did most of the work on those. Of course the Buckeyes were also wonderful. It's difficult to eat just one, but it's not fun experiencing the sugar rush if you eat many more than that. RL came home from work with a dozen beautiful roses and made dinner. For dessert we had the terrific, completely made from scratch Boston Cream Pie that R made. She found the recipe in the February issue of Country Living. She worked her tushy off! She used a vanilla bean to get all the flavor for the homemade pudding. The cake was made with all kinds of wonderful 'cakey' ingredients and the chocolate....oh, the chocolate was the best. I don't have much experience with Boston Cream Pie because we just didn't have them very often when I was growing up. When R would turn to me with a question, I just drew a blank. She was definitely on her own.
But I don't need to worry about her. She makes do and gets the job done. She's fearless in the kitchen, just like her Dad. I like to follow directions a little too closely! Due to all this homemade goodness, the store bought chocolates are still sealed up tight.
I got the most wonderful surprise in the mail yesterday. I have to take pictures of it before I can really share it with you - so you'll just have to wait until tomorrow. I think it will be worth it. It wasn't really a big surprise to me because I was expecting something, but the something was much more than I could have ever thought it would be!
Tune in tomorrow - same bat time, same bat channel!

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Yum -- that cake looks delicious. Sounds like you had a wonderful day!