December 4, 2010

Gross, Isn't It?

What fun we have had this week! We were going along okay - nothing exciting, but nothing dull. Then L tells me Wednesday that his jaw is bothering him. I asked him if it was the same jaw his wisdom tooth was removed from last November. Yes. Hmmm. I told him to let me know in the morning how he was feeling. The next morning he was really complaining. He could hardly open his mouth and it appeared he had a small opening in the gum area where his wisdom tooth had been removed. We have an interesting dentist. He works Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. He closes on Thursday at 2:00. I called him at 1:20 to see if they could possibly see L because he wasn't in any shape to get through the weekend. We rushed like idiots to the office. We got there and they took him back right away. Turns out he had a build up of infection in that area. Then the dentist comes out and tells me that a 'fragment' of either bone or tooth was caught in that area and he had to open it up and take it out. He filed down the jaw a little and then stitched it up. Okay. I understand that sometimes happens. Then I got a lecture about how if I had brought him in for his yearly cleaning they might have been able to catch it sooner. Okay, okay. I'll take my scolding. Then I went back to pay for it. $300. Hmmm, really? The dentist left the area and L tells me he has a souvenir to show me. He asked the assistant if he could keep the 'fragment' and she told him he could. That little 'fragment' you see in the picture was what was in his jaw. Can you believe it? No wonder he was in pain! The dentist left that in his jaw during his wisdom tooth extraction! It was trying to work it's way back out and that's where the infection, pain and hole all came from! Needless to say, we will be looking for a new dentist - SOON!

4 comments:

kelly said...

If that's a "fragment", how big was the tooth?!?

Thimbleanna said...

OUCH! A new dentist is DEFINITELY in order -- wow. Hope he's feeling better now!

Linda said...

Yep... definitely time for a new dentist.

Debbie said...

That doesn't look like a fragment! And I agree with Linda, I think it is time for a new dentist.