January 29, 2010

Snow, Cookies, X Games and Knitting

Yep, that about sums up our weekend. R is totally into the X Games - so much so that she is willing to get out of bed early to watch them! That, my friends, is saying a lot!

I have learned way too much about snowmobiles and the wicked tricks that can be performed on them. I still like Shaun White, so I have no problem at all watching him snowboard. However, the Mom in me really kicks in when they have accidents and I suck in enough air that I'm sure they hear it in Aspen.

I had to make some chocolate chip cookies tonight. Since we are having snow and some rumors of possible power outages, I couldn't let the chocolate chips go bad. I have been to the grocery store with all the other maniacs storing up for the 'blizzard.' Why do we do that? When we lived in Florida we went 'hurricane shopping,' but now that we live in North Carolina, we have 'ice storm' and 'snow storm' shopping. Milk and bread is on the top of everyone's lists. Why? Won't the milk go bad if the power goes out? I guess we can stick it in the snow on the back porch. Oh well, I cruised the aisles with everyone else this afternoon trying to find something that we will actually eat instead of cans of tuna that will sit in the cupboard. I turned the corner only to find the bread aisle totally packed. I thought everybody was buying bread! How would I ever get down that aisle. Nope, bread is across from beer and those male shoppers were facing the beer side. Apparently bananas, bread and beer are big items for snow storms. Who knew? I did have a moment of doubt when I thought maybe I needed to take the money to my LYS and get some knitting supplies for the big snow. Common sense won out and my family will not starve.

You might have noticed some Valentine knitting. We just cannot get these colors to come across without blinding us on our monitor. Hopefully yours is a little tamer than ours. Anywho, I've been trying to use that cotton I was reminded of having and why would I need anymore yarn, yadda, yadda, yadda. I've had a lot of fun knitting them, but I think it might be time to pull out the sock yarn and crank out some socks. Does anybody have a problem with just plain old socks? I've been pondering that lately. So many cool sock patterns out there and here I sit knitting plain old ribbed cuff, cuff down socks. Is there anything wrong with that? Just food for thought.

Wherever you are this weekend, I hope you are staying warm, doing what you want to do and enjoying the people you love.

No comments: