October 20, 2009

Turnip Time

The kids are major Halloween freaks. Having read some history on Halloween and learning that the early jack-o-lanterns were actually carved out of turnips, the kids have been after me for years to carve their own. Year after year I have forgotten. Today they decided to go to the grocery store with me. They remembered to get turnips. Using a knife and a wood carving kit, they carved to their hearts content while RL and I fixed dinner. By the way, there is WAY less mess with turnips than pumpkins!
Here are the finished products. L's is on the left and R's is on the right. R pointed out that it's a little funny that her turnip has one front tooth and L's has two. Long story short - L lost a front tooth in a hammock incident when he was about five or six, so it is a little ironic that his has two!


Once it got dark enough, they took their turnips out for a photo shoot. I love the way you can see the face shining on the steps.


This is my favorite of the two turnips together. Might have to do this every Halloween!

2 comments:

kelly said...

I <3 purple, so I guess you know how I feel about them!

Aredhel said...

Those are so cool! I love the way the light shines through them.