May 24, 2012

Harper's Big Adventure


Whew!  See the sucker waving good-bye and sticking his tongue out?  That's what I thought was seeing this morning.  Since R broke her foot, 'Harper Duty' has fallen to the rest of us.  L has been working so hard on getting him to walk on a slack leash instead of dragging us all over town.  I have been thoroughly amazed with their progress.  This morning I took Harper outside to attend to his 'business' when he started pulling to go on a walk.  The street was quiet so I went for it.  He was doing a beautiful job.  The leash was slack.  He wasn't panting.  We got to the house where his best buddy, Chester, lives.  He hesitated and I prodded.  I finally got him going.  Then I heard IT.  The recycling truck.  Harper is scared of trucks.  When I say 'scared', I mean SCARED!  He started panicking and running in little circles.  Then his head popped right out of his collar!  Panic time!  What to do?  Then I remember that you are not supposed to chase your dog.  Just stand still.  I did and he came right back to me.  Crisis averted.  Oh but it couldn't be that easy, could it?  Apparently the collar didn't click and when we started walking, off it went.  This time he wasn't going to come back as easily as before.  He was naked without that collar and running free!!!!!  I knew I had a short amount of time before the recycling truck circle back and totally freaked him out again.  He started walking down the road like, "Adios.  I'm going home."  Then he ran back to me and I grabbed for whatever I could!  Thank goodness he didn't mind me grabbing his fur.  I slapped that collar on him and made sure it snapped and the two of us headed home like our lives depended on it.  I wonder when the rodeo will be in town...I'm pretty sure I should enter calf roping!  

No comments: