May 31, 2010

Happy Memorial Day

Memorial Day is an interesting holiday. We were talking about it last night over dinner. When I was a kid I knew it was a day without school or mail and we would be heading down to my grandparents for the day. (If it was a bank holiday - we were at my grandparents with the rest of the family!) RL said when he was little, it wasn't so much about military remembrances as it was about people they had lost. They would take flowers to the cemetery and put them on the graves of their family members. Mom said it was always a military remembrance for her. This year it has been for us too. We have been watching old movies on TCM - Dirty Dozen, Stalag 17, The Guns of Navarone, Operation Petticoat, The Great Escape and probably some more that I've forgotten. I've never seen most of them and they are good movies! My Dad would have loved watching them with us. So, today I remember Daddy, as I do every day. I also remember RLs Dad. I also remember all the soldiers who have served past and present, especially Sam. Be careful and come home safely!

2 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Isn't that interesting -- I'd never thought about Memorial Day in reference to my past. When I was growing up, it always meant a trip to the cemetery with flowers for family members. Thanks for the sweet reminder!

Sweet Woodruff said...

Your post was sweet to me. It was the same for me growing up. Missing daddy's is hard. ((hug))