September 9, 2009

The Dreaded Socks

I like knitting socks. I really do. However, this pair nearly changed my perception of sock knitting forever. I don't know if it was me or the yarn or my mood or what, but I hated knitting these socks. As you can tell, the pattern is the usual, generic sock pattern I've used a million times. The yarn is from Knit Picks. I like the sock pattern. I like Knit Picks sock yarn. However, I hate this pair of socks! Maybe it's because I started out with this glorified idea of knitting something different. I was going to be creative and add a pattern to the generic sock pattern. It didn't work. I ripped them back to the cuff with the help of my trusty assistant, R. Then I moved onto another pattern idea I had in my mind. Nope. Wasn't going to work. Ripped them back to the cuff a second time. Did I learn anything? Did I realize that I'm not a designer? Did I finally say to myself, "Self, you need to just stick to the pattern as it's written and knit these suckers." Well, yes, I did. But not after trying a third stab at yet another pattern. What can I say, I was feeling stubborn. I decided not to throw the disasters of socks across the room because I know Knit Picks dpns can be deadly. Instead I asked for help from my trusty, and extremely patient, assistant to rip them back yet again. Then I knit the stupid generic pattern. They took forever! I don't like the way the gussets turned out. I grew to hate the colors. The yarn was splitting like crazy - maybe because it had been ripped out a million times! I love Knit Picks sock yarn. I don't have any complaints. However, this time I was not liking it at all! I need a challenge I guess. Needless to say, I am not knitting another pair generic socks any time soon....well, unless I change my mind, of course.

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Well, "I" think they're beautiful. I love the colors. Sad to say though, I'm not a fan of knitpicks yarn -- used it only once and it was just too splitty. On the other hand, those socks have washed and worn well, so maybe I'll talk myself back into it. ;-)